Don’t you wish you could make your own spicy chicken sandwiches for pennies on the dollar? …. Instead of spending money you don’t really have, paying $5.00 a sandwhich? This recipe is exactly what you’re looking for.
I love these so muchthat I’ve incorporated them into our meal plan almost once a week.
(Sorry, one bite was taken before I could get a picture). They are so good, I couldn’t help myself! You’ll understand as soon as you try one. So try it, today!
They are delicious, easy to make, and very affordable. Not to mention, this is actually three recipes in one!
Buy about 1 1/2 – 3 lbs of whole cut chicken and whatever you don’t use for the sandwiches makes (1.) A Perfect Chicken Stock (Broth). The meat you DO USE will be made into (2.) The Spicy Chicken Sandwiches pictured above; and (3.) double as The Perfect Boneless Buffalo Wings!
For The Broth:
Begin by separating your chicken meat from the fat and bones.
1. Cut & separate, making sure to cut chicken meat into small pieces which will fit easily on your buns.
2. Fill a large dutch oven or stock pot about 1/2 to 2/3 with water, lightly salt, and bring to a boil.
3. Add the remains of your cut up chicken (the parts you aren’t using for sandwiches)
4. Let boil for 1 – 2 hours. Add more water if needed.
5. Either strain into large heat resistent container, or let cool, remove all pieces and pour into containers. Can be frozen or refridgerated.
Now, For The Spicy Chicken Sandwiches, here’s the RECIPE:
1/3 cup red hot sauce (If you’re near ATL, or can find it in your store, Old Dad’s works best, as well as Texas Pete Buffalo Sauce, but really you may use any sauce)
1 – 2 lb tenderized boneless skinless chicken (as mentioned above, save $$ simply by buying whole cut up chicken, and *BONUS*, create your own stock!
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
6 – 12 buns
1 1/2 cups chopped lettuce (optional)
1 tomato sliced (optional)
*****For the best buns ever, check out: My Savory Buns Recipe The bun in the picture above of the spicy chicken sandwich IS a bun made from this recipe!*****
**Caution**: These are spicy, so if you have small children, I suggest leaving out a few pieces of chicken to bake without the sauce and seasonings. Better to allow them to sample the spicy chicken and eat a plain baked chicken sandwich, rather than presenting a meal they won’t enjoy!
1. Preheat oven to 350° (or 400), line baking pan with EVOO or spray with cooking spray.
2. Pour 2/3 cup water into pirex liquid measuring cup. Next, fill pirex to 1 cup by adding 1/3 cup of your hot sauce, stir.
3. Tenderize chicken. (If you don’t have a meat tenderizer, just place chicken pieces on a cutting board, cover with saran wrap, and pound with an empty bottle). Place all of your chicken pieces directly into your saucy mix in the pirex. Give a good stir.
4. Mix all dry ingredients in a large recloseable plastic bag, then shake well or stir with fingers.
5. Take chicken one piece at a time and shake in the bag of dry mixture, making sure to coat well.
6. Place the chicken on the baking pan.
7. Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes (or @ 400 for 15 minutes).
8. Sprinkle chicken with hot pepper sauce mix and spray more cooking spray on the chicken.
9. Turn and bake 30 minutes more (or 15 minutes @ 400).
10. Build your sandwich, give thanks to God, enjoy.
Here is one more look @ the delicious finished product!
For The Wings:
This may be my absolute favorite thing about the spicy chicken sandwiches — use left overs as boneless buffalo wings to make a delicious appetizer! Just add some ranch (or) blue cheese dressing to make an easy appetizer. Or, add a side for a complete meal. In the picture below, I added mashed potatoes.. and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch!
Every way you try this recipe gives the same end result: PURE. UTTER. DELICIOUSNESS!!! Enjoy! 🙂